Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default what cell phone for under $ 130

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 07 Feb 2020 18:16:28 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 07:22:37 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 5:31:36 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 6 Feb 2020 15:24:51 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

What are some of the recommended cellphones (smart phones) that are
under $ 130 ?

I don't do much with a phone,but have had a smart phone for a good
number of years and as it has a non user replaceble battery and is

That it says that doesn't make it true. Check google for a video or
instructions on how to change even a non-changeable battery. My last
phone, that was stolen, had a non-replaceable battery and a video like
that, and replacement batteries for sale. Basically it showed how to
pop open the case and how to unstick the battery which is attached to
the case with double-sided tape. I'm pretty sure yours is like that
too. What make and model is it?

Don't know about the replacement phone, havne't checked it.

getting some age on it I am thinking fo getting a new one.
I just don't see me using one of the $ 200 and up phones for anything.

I would like one that will connect to wifi as where I am at sometimes I
do no get good cell tower service from some companies.

I think they all do that but maybe not if it's cheap enough. ;-(

I do want one that will fit in a pocket and not one of the large tablet
sizes. I have a tablet and laptop to carry around, but mostly use the
large screen and computer on the desk.

Right now the LG Astro 3 is lookiing good to me.

https://www.gsmarena.com/lg-phones-20.php gsmarena.com has loads of
info about most phones, but this one isn't listed.

If I change services to Mint Mobile like I am thinking of Trader4 said
there is a code I could get so he could get credit for a new user. Not
sure if I go that rout,but may in a few months.

I use them too. Last year they increased the amount of data without
raising the price. I pay yearly (but they send annoying texts every
month to tell me I have a new month. I haven't tried yet but I have a
feeling I won't be able to get them to stop.

Wow, one text a month and you're annoyed. Low threshold there.

I could have gotten by on
the lowest amonnt of data but decided to treat myself to one level
better, anothe 60 a year, which I'm pretty sure I've never used.

But when I stayed some place for 10 days with no internet, before I got
Mint, I used a lot of data as a hotspot supplying the laptop. Hotspot
ability is probably less common than wifi-enabled.

That's true and a great feature for Mint. Many of the higher price
carriers charge extra for hotspot/tethering.

I was under the (probably mistaken) impression that carriers have to allow
tethering and hotspot at no extra charge.

Well I was talking about phones when I said hotspot was probably less
common than wifi. Wifi is just about universal iiuc and hotspot is
getting more and more common, except perhaps in very cheap phones.

As to providers, Mint allows hotsppot, but I guess there were ones
(still are??) that prohibited it. Strange, I would think they would
just charge more like the ones mentioned do.

Frankly, Ralph, it might be a mistake to save maybe $40 and get a phone
without certain capabilities. I'm as cheap as anybody, but upgrading a
phone is cheaper and maybe as worthwhile as upgradinga car which would
cost several thosand. When I read about hotspot, I thought, "I'll never
use that" but then I stayed that one place for 10 days and the following
year another place for 6 weeks. I'd have no interneet on the laptop
without hotspot on the phone. And it's fast too, faster than DSL iirc.

There was a Verizon v FCC case in about 2012 that I thought had resulted in
an industry shift away from charging extra and simply rolling the cost into
the overall plan fee.