Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default Using a cheap Din Car Head Unit with HiFi Amp

wrote:
The unit has 4 RCA sockets on the back (in addition to the standard Din
power and speaker sockets), it claims these are two rear outputs and 2
rear outputs. I suspect its actually 2 front and 2 rear.

It also claims to want 12V power and to use a maximum of 15A.

IF I connect a relatively low output 12V bench supply (1 or 2 A from
memory). And dont connect any speakers, but just use 2 of the RCAs to
feed the stereo input of a HiFi amp.

1. Is anything likely to go up in smoke?

2. Is it likely to work?

My guess is it's probably OK - they must have thought about flat-battery-day
where the battery can't provide enough amps without the voltage sagging
badly.

However if you want a high current 12V PSU, get yourself a PS3 power supply
from ebay for under a tenner. Go up to 32A fanless:
https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Power_Supply

Not sure about the best enclosure - I'm sure I've seen instrument cases with
a bezel on the front roughly the same size as a DIN slot, but possibly not
quite right. Make something out of wood?

Theo