Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rant

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 08:14:41 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

More so an update as to what's going on in my neck of the woods.....

A few years ago I bought two antique woodworking tables from the IRS auctions. Each needed some repair. Got one in good working order, specifically the two wood vises needed adjusting and a bit of repair. On the other table, a vise needs a new wooden nut for one of the vises. The screw shaft size is 1.75" diameter with 2.5 threads per inch, thread depth is 3/16" deep. There are no tap and die sets available for this size screw unit... at least that I can find. Spoke with a machinist and he thinks he can make a nut. We'll test a block to see if we can make one. If all goes well, then we'll see about a fee. My rant is I had thought it would be an easier task to get a new nut.
Broken nut under the end of the screw:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

I know it's gauche around these parts but have you thought about a
printed nut? It won't show and I won't tell.