Posted to uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Why are long drill bits so hard to find?

On Fri, 07 Feb 2020 12:22:09 -0000, T i m wrote:

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 11:07:03 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
And as you also say correctly, go into any shed today and outside of
SDS / masonry bits and the *odd* smaller HSS bit, the lengths of bit
available are often very limited / standard.

Bits that are longer than you need are rarely an issue, bits that are
too short are and as you say, not something you can always resolve
easily (just by walking into any shed on a Sunday morning and buying
the length, spec and size of bit you want, even if it's only say 50%
longer than 'std' bits).

Drill shanks (from reputable manufacturers) are not hard.

You are right, my bad. It actually snapped 1/2 way up the fluted
section. What I meant was it wasn't just the tip that chipped or broke
away, the (13mm) bit literally snapped in half!

I have turned
down and soft soldered extensions on some of mine for special jobs.

I have also turned shanks of bigger bits down to fit in a smaller
chuck (like a blacksmiths drill bit) and have a couple of finer bits
that someone else has soldered into a home made holder / extender in
my drill bit drawer.

As you say, I have bent shanks on drills before but they generally
snap around the main fluted area.

If you have the means, they can often be re-sharpened to make use of
the remaining bit as a stubby drill. ;-)

I often use a grinder on the shank of bits to make them slightly triangular. Who on earth thought it would be a good idea for a chuck to try to grip a round shank?!