Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default TNP? Gluing magets to ali

On Thursday, 6 February 2020 19:45:47 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Might be one for TNP as he knows about epoxy (hi waves)

Best glue for shiny neodymium magnet disc (5p sized) to plain ali?

Epoxy or hotglue. Or something else?

I'm aware ali can be awkward due to oxide coating. And there will be
heavy thermal cycling, which killed the foam tape on some trunking - had
to screw that in the end.

Just wondered if anyone had experience?

Cheers - Tim

Why?

Have one of a series of mini projects is to put some led tape around the
conservatory using ali extrusion to make it nice:

https://www.marcled.com/p3-led-profi...-diffuser-opal

Going to be sticking on the removable uPVC strip that runs around at the
top of the windows.

Don't want to drill it (so it cabn be restored later if lights become
defunct).

So I'm going to hotglue chunky steel washes to the back of it and
replace, then glue neodymium disc magets about the side of a 5p coin to
the back of the ali extrusion.

No doubt that it will hold well.

Drill some holes in the aluminium to help the glue stick to it.