Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TNP? Gluing magets to ali

On 07/02/2020 09:38, alan_m wrote:
On 06/02/2020 19:45, Tim Watts wrote:

I've found the the shiny silver coating on the magnet is the weakest
bond (to the rest of the magnet) and just relying on sticking to that
will result in it soon failing.

As you indicate, I've used a magnet with a hole that can take a screw.

I also considered that, but there's not much to lose a thread into on
the ali. They come with little spring clips that are also designed to
take a countersunk screw like the magnets. Unless I screw from both
directions into a pad of some sort... Maybe a little block of nylon or
something that can easily take a thread.

Alternatively use epoxy to encapsulate the whole magnet as well as
sticking it down. Perhaps drill a small hole in the ali so that the
epoxy also flows through it forming a glue bridge front to back (easier
if gluing to a horizontal surface).

Sandwich the magnet between in between two pieces of material that are
physically joined so the magnet cannot move.

Some ideas that - thanks for suggesting them