Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default TNP? Gluing magets to ali

On 06/02/2020 19:45, Tim Watts wrote:
Might be one for TNP as he knows about epoxy (hi waves)

Best glue for shiny neodymium magnet disc (5p sized) to plain ali?

Epoxy or hotglue. Or something else?

I'm aware ali can be awkward due to oxide coating. And there will be
heavy thermal cycling, which killed the foam tape on some trunking - had
to screw that in the end.

Just wondered if anyone had experience?

I've found the the shiny silver coating on the magnet is the weakest
bond (to the rest of the magnet) and just relying on sticking to that
will result in it soon failing.

As you indicate, I've used a magnet with a hole that can take a screw.

Alternatively use epoxy to encapsulate the whole magnet as well as
sticking it down. Perhaps drill a small hole in the ali so that the
epoxy also flows through it forming a glue bridge front to back (easier
if gluing to a horizontal surface).

Sandwich the magnet between in between two pieces of material that are
physically joined so the magnet cannot move.