Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck U. Chuck U. is offline

Default Too much hysteresis in water heater thermostat

On 2/5/20 10:44 PM, rdankwort wrote:
replying to Peabody, rdankwort wrote:
This is a very common phenomenon in water heaters.Â* In the morning my temp. is
just warm; after I do a load of laundry it is piping hot.Â* And in-between for
moderate use.
Unlike you I don't like to mess with my thermostat setting.Â* It'sÂ* a crummy
honeywell regulator on a Bradford-White tank.Â* The Robertshaw I used to have
on my earlier tank at least had visible and large temp. setting marks; the
honeywell is a tiny knob with useless setting markers.

Anyway, if I want hot water in the morning I try to get up a bit early & run a
water faucet somewhere.Â* I know that'saÂ* sinful waste of waterÂ* but what would
you.

BTW living in a hot desert climate I have a very different summer problem
also: between the hot garage temperatures and the pilot my water runs almost
dangerously hot.. The pilot alone keeps the temp. up! I once tried just
shutting off the pilot but then the water temp.was way too low.

The Honeywell on my natural gas Lochinvar works fine but it's a pilotless ignition model.