Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Too much hysteresis in water heater thermostat

In article ect.com,
says...

replying to Peabody, rdankwort wrote:
This is a very common phenomenon in water heaters. In the morning my temp. is
just warm; after I do a load of laundry it is piping hot. And in-between for
moderate use.

Unlike you I don't like to mess with my thermostat setting. It's a crummy
honeywell regulator on a Bradford-White tank. The Robertshaw I used to have
on my earlier tank at least had visible and large temp. setting marks; the
honeywell is a tiny knob with useless setting markers.

I found that to be a problem with a house I moved into. About 10 years
later I replaced the water heater with a new one. The new one acts the
same way. Luke warm water comes out of the single leaver shower , but if
I run some water and then get in the shower the water is very hot at the
maximum hot setting of the lever. I do have it set for about 130 or 140
deg. Just me and the wife so no small children to get burnt.