Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Has the sky fallen in yet?

On 05/02/2020 11:06, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 09:29:27 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 04/02/2020 17:01, Custos Custodum wrote:

Correct. It was a suggestion, which Johnson fully endorsed. Every
stage hypnotist and sleight-of-hand operator knows the power of
suggestion. And all the Little Englanders fell for it.

Why do those who oppose leaving believe that 17 million people (and
maybe more during the last general election) were fooled by the 350
million figure especially with so much contemporary publicity saying
that the figure was a lie?

You didn't need 17 million to believe the lies. A couple of million was
enough to sway the vote. Plenty had perfectly acceptable reasons to want
to leave - even where others disagreed with them.

Basically, whoever paid for that bus, bought enough votes to influence
the outcome.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a3579676.html

"Mr Cummings also coined the groups official slogan €śvote leave, take
control€ť. An official Vote Leave poster also claimed that €śTurkey
(population 76million) is joining the EU.€ť

Bingo, it really could come down to something as simple (and devious)
as that.

However, we are where we are and need to accept the result without
further recrimination.

Do we though? If someone tricks you into cleaning and painting your
roof with some false promises then it fails, do you just walk away?

While it is nice to have someone to blame if things go badly further
obstruction is not helpful for any.

Other than we haven't left yet, the final deal still isn't struck and
democracy doesn't just happen on one day.

If the idea that not everyone is happy to accept anything the
government now comes up with re us Leaving, they might just moderate
what they do for fear of being voted out at the next election (or
sooner).

The problem is that partial leaving is the worst of all worlds. Either
staying or fully leaving make sense, but not surrendering the benefits
of staying, without being able to exploit the potential benefits of leaving.