Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Petrol and diesel car sales ban brought forward to 2035 UK

On 2/5/2020 11:48 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:

Over the past 6-7 years, I've been to NYC about two dozen times to do
consulting jobs and I love it there. Most folks that I know of don't own a
car, but you generally don't need one. Everything is in walking distance,
and everything is open 24/7. It's pretty amazing. I don't think I'll be
moving there, but if the right opportunity came along, I could definitely
see myself living there.

One of the things talked about saving energy is just that, put people in
cities. Going back even pre 1950 there were less suburbs and less need
for automobiles. We walked to shopping and most everything we needed.
Now we build McMansions.

One other thought for the electric cars is instead of just recharging
stations, they have car changing stations. You pull your electric car
in and switch to a freshly charged car. Another way. Maybe some kind of
quick change battery pack. One where you drive into a bay and press a
button and a crane pulls it out from the hood and puts in another .
Process to take about 5 minutes or less.

I've wondered about the same things, where you just swap out the battery
pack or you drop off one car and take another.

Better batteries and standard sizing would make that a good method. If
car makers all used the same packs it would be much simpler and
economical to do it. Could heppen.