Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default 261 scientists sign open letter calling for ‘deep cuts’ to greenhouse gas emissions

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 07:59:32 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

We can argue and disagree about how fast things should be done,
what should be done, etc. But what is absurd at this point is to
just deny that we should do anything at all and to argue that we
should burn more coal. That's Trump's position. Withdrawing from
the Paris agreement, which wasn't going to bind the US to do
anything specific, was really dumb.

And most of what has been done over the last couple of decades
has been a win-win. Cars have better MPG. Furnaces are 95%
instead of 80%. AC went from 10 SEER to 14 to 18. Buildings
are better insulated. Just turning down the thermostat in
winter and putting on a sweater helps with CO2 and saves $$.
My gas bill was cut by ~40% going to a new furnace. Solar
is now down to the point where it's becoming cost effective
without subsidies. If Trump's views and policies had been
in place, what would have happened?

My new house didn't even come with a coal chute. If Trump gets his way, I
guess I'd better have one put in. I'll need to dig a basement first.