Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Panasonic Microwave issues

On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 3:13:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 04 Feb 2020 14:42:35 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

I have a mid-line Panasonic inverter microwave my wife decided we
needed to replace our 30 year old unit (which had given virtually NO
problems after the "stirrer" was replaced under warranty at just under
a year).
Like many others (according to reports on the internet) it started
having problems with the door not closing properly - resulting in the
microwave being more difficult to get started.
I opened it up just after the warranty expired and installed an "L"
angle braklet to re-enforce the lowere latch/switch mount which got us
another year or so of functionality - but it was getting bad again so
I took it apart again today to find the upper latch/switch mount was
now bent. I ended up putting a (tension) brace from the mounting screw
of the latch to a hole in the lip of the inner enclosure made of a
chunk of stainless steel MIG wire to keep the bracket from flexing.
Mabee a few more years before something else goes?
These things are built worse than a travel trailer - and that's
saying something!!!!!
For a few pennies more they could design them so the brackets didn't
bend - or put a bracket on either side of the switch/latch. I'll bet
more than 90% of them get pitched when that bracket bends - and
theyALL bend sooner or later. The rest of the design seems pretty good
- so most likely the majority that get thrown out are for that reason.
Cheap "consumer grade" crap!!!! I'm sure the old one would still be
soldiering on without a problem.

So far so good with mine - Panasonic Inverter NN-ST651W.
But the door is noisy to close - loud-tinny-cheapo-sounding.
If I remember correctly, it's about 5 years old ~ $ 120.
and you're right - it will probably go into the landfill before I
try to repair it... sorry to say. Disposable society ..
The discount places sell re-furbs for well under $ 100.
John T.

One here about ten years old, still working fine, except the light went
out. I think I got as far as figuring out you have to take it apart
and the bulb costs $15.