Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Has the sky fallen in yet?

On Tue, 4 Feb 2020 20:45:36 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

On 04/02/2020 17:01, Custos Custodum wrote:

Correct. It was a suggestion, which Johnson fully endorsed. Every
stage hypnotist and sleight-of-hand operator knows the power of
suggestion. And all the Little Englanders fell for it.

Why do those who oppose leaving believe that 17 million people (and
maybe more during the last general election) were fooled by the 350
million figure

1) Only Brexiteers 'believe'. Levers need to know or won't gamble.
2) It didn't need 17M people to believe it, just a few more than those
who voted Remain.
3) They didn't need to be completely fooled, they just needed to be
swayed, given how little fact was being offered at the time.
4) There were two lies on the bus and if anyone believed either then
that could have been enough to sway the vote.
a) £350M/w to the EU
b) That it could fund the NHS 'instead'. [1]
5) Of the money we agreed to pay to the EU (nearer £250M/w), we then
get a good percentage of it back through grants and other benefits.

https://fullfact.org/europe/350-mill...hority-misuse/

"We have never paid the EU £350 million a week and we have never owed
the EU £350 million a week. After we leave the EU, that means we
cannot take back control of £350 million a week."

And how does it actually compare with our other costs:
http://www.hl.co.uk/__data/assets/im...ng-10.1.17.png

especially with so much contemporary publicity saying
that the figure was a lie?

Publicity that really only hit the main press *after* the event.

Please don't keep trying to Jedi mind trick you way past any of the
above. It really doesn't work. the *point* is that it was a scam that
worked (along with the other lies) because just enough people fell for
it. You 'won', well done. Bask in your hollow victory (while you can).

Cheers, T i m

[1] I know it doesn't actually say it *would* be 'given to the NHS
instead' (but 'let's' is pretty close) but once you (= 'the gullible')
have an idea like that set in peoples minds they like to believe it,
especially if they are looking for reasons to blame something they
don't like, even if they don't know why they don't like it (other than
those thoughts that have been put into their minds by racists, Little
Englanders and anti EU fanatics etc).