Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default MCB Failure modes / ageing?

In article ,
harry scribeth thus
On Monday, 3 February 2020 22:13:23 UTC, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Sounds like a small heat pump what does it actually achieve?
Brian

It heats our (fairly) small house quite nicely!

Very happy with it - when it's working well - which, over the last 15
years has been most of the time.

Sucks heat out of the ground via 3 x 100m coils of plastic pipe buried
under our polytunnel and produces circulating central heating water to
feed our radiators.

The manufacturer reckons that the system produces 3 - 4kw of heat for
every kw of electricity consumed.

You have to include the electricity used in the various pumps/fans round the
system.
Looks a lot less good then.

You can get to the point where off-peak storage heaters are more economical.

Storage heaters need virtually no maintenance and are much much cheaper to
install. And more reliable (no moving parts except possibly a fan.

Those things are a Pile of poo removed more of them that i care to
remember!...

There were lots of cowboy installers around in the early days of heat pumps too.

--
Tony Sayer