Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ray[_22_] Ray[_22_] is offline

Default 10 minutes to Brexit

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
As we are living longer, we simply need to work longer - with
exemptions
for those that must retire early due to ill health.

I take it you are nowhere near retirement age?

Not quite so close since they increased the age - I am 53.

Think you'll find your views will change dramatically in the next 10 years
or so.

The vast majority I know of have had enough of work by the time they
get
to 65.

Fine, but use retirement as an opportunity. With the pension(s) to live
on, the better paying work can be replaced with something that is
part-time and more interesting/enjoyable. Maybe a chance to become
self-employed without the worry of having to earn enough to pay all the
bills.

Sadly, this is an option few have. Except for doing charity etc work. Even
a freelance will be expected to come up with the goods to someone else's
timescale, etc. Usually.

Also staying on beyond a reasonable retirement age stops those younger
progressing in their career.

And bringing more immigrants in to increase the tax take doesn't?

That's not the main reason immigrants come here.

But it is the main reason that first world countries
choose to have a relatively high immigration rate.

The main exception is Japan which chooses not to.

Even
if youngsters can't progress as fast due to oldies staying on, they in
turn will be productive for longer and have just as much chance to
progress, just over a longer period.

You think most peak at the end of their careers?