Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Flooring repair

On 02/02/2020 18:29, newshound wrote:
On 02/02/2020 15:51, ARW wrote:
On 02/02/2020 13:38, newshound wrote:
On 02/02/2020 11:23, rick wrote:
Have a Weyroc floor fitted over wood joists in a bedroom ...
parents house built circa 1980

Floor is damaged in 2 places (legs of bed had gone through)....
dont really want to re-sheet whole floor, particularly as fitted
wardrobes over part of the floor.

initially thought it would be easy ... make a square cut-out back
flush with joist and fix a bearer timber on joist, to hold edge of
new board, and screw some supports round underside of other 3 sides
to form a frame to fit new piece in.

This plan stuttered today when I measured thickness of the Weyroc
...its 19.4mm. So presumably an imperial 3/4€¯ sheet.

Anybody know if you can still get 3/4€¯ sheet ....
If not can you get 20mm as if I have to but 22mm that is not going
to sit flush without a lot of extra work.

I am sure 19mm chipboard is made..mmm...no, butĀ* 18mm is best option
with 1.5mm shims..glue it in

Old venetian blind slats make good shims for this sort of job.

Nice:-) It always seems to be lino that was used when I rip up
mismatching boards at houses.

Ah yes, I remember lino.

I still have a good collection of slats from dead wooden venetian
blinds, but I have used up all of my metal ones. Aluminium drinks cans
are also useful for fine adjustments (see "Zen and the art of motorcycle
maintenance).

In the good old days you could just use a witch's tit to make up the
difference in the floorboards.

--
Adam