Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] francetich.kane@gmail.com is offline

Default Touch Sensitive Switch Turning Itself On

I had the same issue with several touch switches turning on all the time. These were new switches installed for several under cabinet led lights in a remodeled kitchen. Two of the switches in particular seemed to come on nearly every morning, often multiple times after turning them off.

The supply wires leading to these switches ran through a return air chase for the furnace. My suspicion is that the air moving through the chase (which occurred more in the morning when the furnace would first come on) caused a bit of static around the wires.

What solved this problem for me was quite simple. I snapped a couple of ferrite core noise filters over the source wires going to the switches. You can pick these up pretty cheap (bag of 20 for under $10). I put two on each switch, just behind the switch itself, but one may have done it. The switch still functions normally, and now the lights don't come on multiple times every morning.