Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Combi or System boiler

On 01/02/2020 12:34, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 01 Feb 2020 11:53:45 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

Bev submitted this idea :
I'm more tempted by a system with cylinder as I have also read some
reviews that say that kerosene combi are not as good at producing HW as a
gas fired.

I had a cylinder for stored water installed back in mid-80's (gas
boiler) and have resisted suggestions to replace it with a combi twice
since then. Combi boilers are just about OK for houses which are not
much occupied, but they have great disadvantages for most people..

1. They waste water until it heats up.
2. Increased wear on the boiler, which has to fire everytime HW is
needed.
3. They are more inefficient heating water.

We experience this to an extreme with our combi as the kitchen is
quite a way from the boiler, though thankfully the shower is near the
boiler.

What would suit us is a small tank above the kitchen warmed by the CH
system and maybe a thermostatically controlled element. At a previous
property a similar arrangement worked well from an open coal fired CH
system. Do such systems exist?

There is nothing to stop you running a combi with a conventional Y plan
system as well. So stored HW for baths etc, then on demand mains
pressure potable water for kitchen / showers etc.

--
Cheers,

John.