Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Is there any reason to replace the fan?

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 01:04:08 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 30 Jan 2020 05:45:33 -0800 (PST), Cindy
Hamilton wrote:

But the instructions that came with the fan talked about running the fan
after one took a steamy shower. Because I guess, the humidity would be
bad for the wood in the attic. I don't know if home-priced humidistats
existed in 1983, but the instructions might have mentioned them too.

All of those fans are supposed to vent to the outdoors, not the attic.

If I used the fans, I would have at least considered correcting that.

I've never noticed a hole in an outside wall to vent The 1st floor
powderroom fan. The powder room is on the east side of the house (and
the other two are on the west). Next time I'm in the attic I hope I
remember to check if they vent it 20 feet up to near the roof.

The manufacturer recommends running the fan after a shower to dry up
the bathroom.

Wouldnt that take an hour or two? It takes an hour or more without the
fan and I can't imagine the fan would help much. So I'd be listening to
that darn noise for an hour.

So people don't get ****ed off with their product and
badmouth them on the Internet.

I bought mine in '83 when few people were on the net.

They aren't really interested in
protecting your dwelling from moisture damage. And their warranty
says so, quite explicitly.

It only takes about 35 seconds to clear the condensation off the 16 sq
ft mirror in the bathroom if I crack the window open half an inch or
so. Letting the moisture get "sucked out" by the extremely dry outside
winter air is VERY effective. Don't need fans aswe have windows in
both bathrooms that can open if required.