Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Amateur radio - maintaining the technical standards

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 13:35:18 +0000, Gareth Evans
wrote:

On 31/01/2020 11:07, T i m wrote:

As I said, I didn't take my RAE to start running long wires down my
garden, talking to people using a series of beeps or talking to anyone
for that matter, it was *purely* to be able to hook my PC up to a
digital network and move data / Emails.

Whatever your original motivation, you nevertheless have passed
the necessary qualification to develop your interests (and
your project) further, and are to be encouraged to do so.

What part of 'getting though an exam' and having no actual interest or
skill in something don't you get?

I was an IT instructor for 7 years (CNI, MCT and A+CT) so have seen my
share of those who are only interested in becoming 'paper engineers'
as a means to an end, like all those who get degrees in subjects they
have no interest in but that add a notch on their CV.

People forget, people never understood in the first place and many can
pass a multiple choice exam without knowing the subject (a mate has
passed 50 without knowing the subject on many of them[1]).

So a bit of paper can mean nothing and someone without a bit of paper
isn't necessarily incompetent.

Cheers, T i m

[1] He 'tested' many of the professional electronic exams to make sure
they ran ok etc and generally passed, even if they were on subjects
that he had little knowledge of / on.