Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gareth Evans Gareth Evans is offline

Default Amateur radio - maintaining the technical standards

On 31/01/2020 00:41, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 15:10:51 +0000, Gareth Evans
wrote:

In the groups.io group, rsgb-workshop, those who might
be considered to be the bell-wethers of amateur radio
are bemoaning the decline in technical standards,
especially among USA Extra class licensees who know
not where to connect their SWR bridges :-(

Test for you then ... I'd like to build a simple FM broadcast receiver
that I can tune (and lock) to R4 for our daughter to listen to when
she's out walking the dog.

A kit would be nice but I don't want anything that scans, unless it
can be locked on a single freq (93.2 MHz?) at startup?

I think it would only need to drive a small speaker or single
headphone.

Anyone who has passed the RAE, perhaps you, is well
qualified to pursue such a project, and taken with
the self-training concomitant with the interest and
the licence that you have held for a number of years,
you should have no difficulty in either completing
such a project off-the-cuff or with a little researching,
completing it then.

Good luck with the project! (You are an example
to the candidature of the exams today)