Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Is there any reason to replace the fan?

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 07:34:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 10:20:55 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

Bingo! Generally accepted best practice today is a ridge vent. And if
you have a fan too, it's likely not helping anything, it may be making
it worse. The fan to be effective needs to be up high in the roof.
That's where the ridge vent is. So the fan will pull air in through
the ridge and blow it right back out. With just a ridge vent, the air
flows from the soffit vents through the attic, out the ridge.

For those who have soffits and soffit vents.

My house lacks soffits. I'm sure some air sucks up around the fascia,
but most of it comes in through a vent in each gable end. We've got
a fan to help move air through the attic.

Cindy Hamilton

Then you MOST likely don't have a ridge vent either. My first house
was that way - a story and a half with knee walls (which were not
insulated) and storage behind the knee walls. Hotter than hades in the
summer and freezing cold in the winter. The previous ownwer had put
insulated plugs in the vents for the winter - which HAD to be removed
for the summer. I quickly insulated the knee walls and was able to
leave the vents open - but the doors to the storage area were still
cold - even with foam-board glued to them.