Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default Amateur radio - maintaining the technical standards

Well one would hope at the aerial, but there are some clever devices around
now called antenna analysers that you can place at the aerial feed point
and also on the end of the feeder. Even I know that if you are using a
doublet with a balanced feed back to the transmitter you tune the whole
thing, but if its coax fed or has a balun at the aerial its really best to
check the match there at all frequencies needed. If I were going to
transmit, I 'd go the doublet way rather than the dipole fed by coax as the
tuner can then be in the house and you stand a better chance of not having
everything acting as an aerial in the house in my view.
Really you don't need complex theory as long as you can work out the
frequency to wavelength correctly and get as near as you can to 1 quarter
wave at the frequency either side of the coax o an unbalanced system it kind
of works,

Mind you good earth mats are very handy things for both receive and
transmit.

I do hope more people would take an interest in direct point to point comms.
Its probably the only way that will work if our modern world suffers an
issue taking down the digital stuff.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Gareth Evans" wrote in message
In the groups.io group, rsgb-workshop, those who might
be considered to be the bell-wethers of amateur radio
are bemoaning the decline in technical standards,
especially among USA Extra class licensees who know
not where to connect their SWR bridges :-(