Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Order of Works

"RayL12" wrote in message
On 28/01/2020 18:22, wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 14:32:34 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
tabbypurr writes
On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 01:14:13 UTC, RayL12 wrote:
I was once instructed, by the home owner, to cut back an Ivy from the
roof. It grew on the whole gable of the property. It encroached onto
both sides of roof by ~2 meters along both gable verges(back and
front).
It was pure toil. Every few inches it needed cutting and as it got to
the verge the branches were 20mm thick. Nothing like cutting a branch
off a tree. This stuff wrapped around itself such that several cuts
may
then lead to a relatively small, piece being removed. No easy task. At
the end of day, as I was preparing to leave, the ivy peeled back and
brought the best of the outer skin of the gable wall down. The damage
party fence and wheely bins was disastrous.

I've sometimes referred to ivy as structural ivy, sounds like that
description is all too real.

Hmm. The *attachment tendrils* come off with a sharp paint scraper on
wood. No satisfactory method yet found for brick:-(
(angle grinder + wire brush and pressure washer nbg) Time and weather
might work!

Leave it on whenever possible, just cut through it at the base. Time &
weather will get rid of it eventually.

NT

The thing with some plants is, they will store enough energy below ground
to pop back up at several new sites with a temper.

Thats not stored energy and there is no temper.

Some plants coppice, others dont.

And, there growth rate can be immense.

It has to be systemic execution, as lovely as they look on some
properties. Modern homes don't last more than 40 years these days, do
they?

Oh bull**** with brick and concrete block houses.

Let the plant play with it, I say.