Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mysterious plug things

On 29/01/2020 10:21, Tim+ wrote:
Bert Coules wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:

Interesting idea. I always thought it was to aid gripping if you use them
on the speaker terminals which open when you press a button.

That is the sort of terminals I have, yes, and the openings are far too
small to take the stranded cable I'm using. I've tried removing some of the
strands on the exposed ends but it's a messy approach, and using a short
jumper connection of thinner wire also seems unnecessarily complicated, so
these reducer plugs strike me as ideal. The prong part is far too long
though, hence my thought about shortening them. I wonder why the terminals
are made so small and incommodious?

Perhaps the pertinent questions is €śwhy are you using such heavy gauge
speaker wire€ť? ;-)

Until it became fashionable speaker wire always used to be skinny spaghetti
like stuff. Seemed to work okay.

It does if you have a speaker with no response below 200Hz

Tim