Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Burglar alarm problem

On 28/01/2020 14:06, wrote:
On Monday, 27 January 2020 20:40:41 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 27/01/2020 20:36, Tim+ wrote:
ARW wrote:
On 27/01/2020 07:23, Tim+ wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:
We have a wired house alarm that was already in place when we bought the
house some 15 years ago.

It has several movement sensors around the house, a large metal case
that all the wires come out of that holds a large backup battery and the
circuitry, and a control panel.

Weve used it several times many years ago, but after it went off around
the clock whilst we were away on holiday and kept our very friendly
neighbours up for days, we stopped using it altogether. It hasnt been
used for many years, but is still connected, and the lights on the panel
are on (alarm disabled).

Last night it went off at 3am (not amused - luckily I managed to
remember the code to reset it). By the look of it there was a short
power cut just prior to it going off.

Is it possible that this was caused by the backup battery not holding
charge any more? We cant remember for certain, but we believe that
more than 10 years ago we had a similar incident and the alarm guy came
and replace the battery, and everything has been well ever since. It is
also very possible that the last time we have had a power cut was that

Also, what does it take to disable it altogether? i.e. completely
disconnected from power etc. We plan to move away in the near future,
so would like to leave the new owners the option to reconnect it easily
if they so wish.

As others have said, you have a dead back up battery.

To decommission it properly you really need the service code, not just the
regular activate/deactivate code. This allows you to open the box, change
sensors etc without activating the tamper circuits.

Be warned that the external sounder will probably have its own battery so
if you dont have the service code, removing the mains supply and the
backup battery will be treated as a €śtamper event€ť and trigger the sounder.
These things can very noisy for a *long* time.

********:-)

NT's suggestion is the best one so far.

1 minutes work and a couple of minutes of outdoor siren.

30 minutes at most.

Do it on a Sunday morning when the Churches are polluting the air with
their bell ringing.

Working at height on a ladder trying to open a bell box with rusted screws?
Seems to me it would be a lot easier just to replace the battery in the
console! Of course if the OP has the service code no fannying around
necessary.

Why replace the battery in the main panel?

The OP wants the alarm to NOT to work.

On an old system with dead batteries all he need do is turn the mains to it off. Obviously the OP doesn't have the engineer codes. Some folk are just trying to make life hard here.

So simple.

No ladders, no ear defenders, no effort.

Brilliant.

--
Adam