Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Default Brake caliper/pad "retaining" clips

On 28/01/2020 12:02, Roger Mills wrote:
On 28/01/2020 10:55, Roger Mills wrote:
I'm not sure how usual it is to replace just the caliper, retaining
the old disc and pads.

If they are in good nick why not?

Under what circumstances would you replace the caliper? Surely, unless
it was physically broken - which that one didn't appear to be - it would
be cheaper to refurbish it with new seals, etc.

It can be as cheap to replace sometimes. I bought a pair for my kitcar
and as a company was selling off old stock, it cost me less than £25 for
two brand new calipers!

When one of the calipers on my wife's car seized, it was time that was
the decider. A refurb kit would have taken two or three days to arrive,
but I could pick up another caliper in an hour.

SteveW