Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tempestinatesttube Tempestinatesttube is offline

Default troubleshooting a non-functional Smirnoff lightning lamp

On 1/28/20 11:51 AM, wrote:
I would start over with an entirely new power-supply, if you are so-inclined. You will get better reliability, at least, than dealing with 20-30 year old components.

https://www.teslaboys.com/Plasma/PlasmaPower/index.html

http://amasci.com/tesla/sstesla.gif

...of dozens of possibilities.

If your flyback is good, you may only need to "fix" the driver section.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

That was my thought (new flyback supply) if I couldn't get the current
one working. The flyback is a smaller one and reminds me of the kind
used in portable TV's of the past. I may try taking readings of the HV
in the borrowed unit as I have a HV probe, but from experience this may
or may not be successful depending on how much the probe loads the circuit.

I'm going to have to take resistance readings of the flyback in the
borrowed unit and then compare them with mine.