Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Mrcheerful Mrcheerful is offline

Default Brake caliper/pad "retaining" clips

On 28/01/2020 12:02, Roger Mills wrote:
On 28/01/2020 10:55, Roger Mills wrote:
I'm not sure how usual it is to replace just the caliper, retaining
the old disc and pads.

If they are in good nick why not?

Under what circumstances would you replace the caliper? Surely, unless
it was physically broken - which that one didn't appear to be - it would
be cheaper to refurbish it with new seals, etc.

Not nowadays, most calipers are quite cheap, and the skills needed to
rebuild one properly are sadly lacking. The last ones I remember doing
needed 8 pistons plus seals, over two hundred quids worth 20 years ago.

Same with most parts now, cheaper to buy a unit than fix the old.