Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gareth Evans Gareth Evans is offline

Default Electronics D-I-Y

Perhaps a caveat is needed here, and that is, if you have
old as-new stocks of wire-ended components, (with the possible
exception of electrolytics), then hang onto them like gold dust!

Also, if you're moving in the direction of SMD, then
the easily-installed 1206 former larger sizes are
something to get hold of while you can.

My regret is that a couple of years ago in a clear-out,
I binned all my "geranium" semiconductors and RTL logic chips.

(Not sure, however, if that applies to the 12AT7 up in
the box in the loft, although if I remember correctly,
the filament connections were on pins 4, 5 & 9, giving
you the choice of either 6V3 or 12V heaters)

/WAFFLE :-)