Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Burglar alarm problem

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 27/01/2020 17:52, ARW wrote:
On 27/01/2020 09:49, charles wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 27/01/2020 07:23, Tim+ wrote:

These things can very noisy for a *long* time.

It depends on what has been programmed for the the alarm on time. I
reprogrammed mine from the default 15 minutes to 5 minutes so if the
alarm did go off the "bell" would only sound for 5 minutes. Very few
people these days take any notice of an alarm (apart from being annoyed
by it) so any longer than 5 minutes is a nuisance and if there are
people in the house then hopefully the alarm going off would persuade
them to move on.

as a Scene of Crime officer said to me "Burglar alarms alarm burglars"

Apart from new builds and rewires I generally only get asked to fit
alarms by customers the week after they have been burgled or their next
door neighbour has been burgled.

A frend of mine would not have an alarm as it said it showed he had
something worth pinching. I tried to explain that most people could guess
what he had just by his age, his property and his car. Sure enough his
next door neighbours has a break in (while they were in bed) and had
their car and a few other bit's stolen. That included a set of keys to
their doors and their children's houses. Any well programmed in satnav in
the car could give away their kids addresses.

He had an alarm fitted the week after they were robbed.

Main reason for an alarm is to persuade the thief that next door is a
lower risk of being detected whilst in the act. Probably dummy alarm
boxes (front and back of the property) work just as well as a proper
alarm.

But its less clear how many of the burglars can recognise
the dummy alarm boxes. Better to use a dead normal alarm
from ebay or facebook etc.

Both my front and back door (and adjacent windows) are illuminated with
dusk to dawn lighting with very low wattage led bulbs. This removes any
dark corners where someone can hide from people passing.

Doesnt work with any of my neighbours places, no one can
seen the whole backyard. Cant actually see any of the backyard
with almost all of them,