Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default What does this picture of a roof show?

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 27 Jan 2020 17:13:51 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 06:42:27 -0500, Jack Legg Roofing
wrote:

On 1/26/20 9:04 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 4:34:38 PM UTC-5, A noiseless patient Spider wrote:
On 1/24/2020 9:43 PM, micky wrote:
What does this picture show:
https://static.companycam.com/lambda...eg?d=2880x2880

My standard 3-tab shingled roof is leaking into the 2nd flor in one spot
and a roofing company came out and looked at it.

I can't see the back half of the roof from the ground and I haven't been
up there, but from inside the attic I do see that several sheets of
plywood are water damaged, so even though it's only 13 years old, I need
a new roof, right? But I'd rather wait until warmer or drier weather,
and I'd like to just solve the one leak into the 2nd floor until then.

A roofer who came to look at it told me it shows that those who put on
the replacement roof 13 years ago caulked the weepholes in the ridge
rail, and that's the reason for the lake that bothers me. Is that what
you thought too?

Does that happen? Is it a problem?

Are those oblong holes the weepholes. Of those in the picture, it looks
like only one is partly blocked, and the others are open.

Can I get a handyman to clean out the weepholes, to last me until the
summer?

If it's the caulk, it's been there for 13 years. How come no drip into
the 2nd floor until this year?

Thanks for any help you can give.

It's hard to tell but it looks like one or two of those shingles are installed upside down (rotated 180°).

I looked for the 3rd time when you said this and still didn't see
anything wrong.

Finally clicked on the little magnifying glass and saw it. One, maybe
two of them, maybe the whole row.

There are a lot of posts about inverting the starter row -- bad practice
-- except this is the ending row, not the starter row!

Good eyes. You're right, at least one piece at the ridge is upside down, no question.

People always bitch about permit fees and building inspectors but if customers demanded a permit and the inspectors are doing their job, this kind of stupid **** would never happen.
I'm guessing the cheapest bid doesn't come with a permit.

Maryland does not require a permit specifically for roofing. Because
your roof is considering a covering, and not a structural component of
the property, replacing your roof covering with a new covering does not
require a permit.Mar 31, 2017
Common Reroofing Questions Answered: - Fick Bros.

And the guarantee - if any, isn't worth the paper it's written on.
In many cases you better hope nobody falls on the job, or the disposal
bin doesn't fall off the truck onto a neighbor when they pull out of
your driveway because they are not adequately insured either -- -

Well, my guy didn't do any of those things, so maybe that makes up for
the mistakes he did make.

I thought this would interest people he
November 26, 2014, 7:07pm #1
So basically I started reroofing my garage when I realized I was
installing a typical 3 tab shingle upside down. Instead of the 3 tabs
facing down they are facing up. Now, as far as I can figure this
shouldn’t actually mess anything up as far as weatherproofing goes.
After looking at the shingles it seems like the 3 tabs are merely
cosmetic. The only problem I might be able to see is that the grooves
between the three tabs are facing up instead of down, however, I have
still installed the shingles such that there is 1 to 1.5 inches overlap
and the tab grooves and nails are completely covered by the bottom (i.e.
top) of the next overlying row of shingles.

So, I’ve only gotten 1/3 of one side of the garage done and I really
don’t want to redo it I don’t have to. Although I will be installing the
shingles here on out the correct way (yes, I know the will be a color
difference) should I reinstall the ones I’ve done or can I treat them as
a very long bottom strip of shingles and restart (allowing for the
proper overlap concerning going the correct way now) from here on out?
Basically, is there any reason beyond cosmetic reasons?

One of the replies:
shingle_monkey
Can we get some pics for our sales folders?

Another reply:
.....Having said that, I’ve watched a crew start roofing from the top of
the building using three tabs, lifting to nail as they went down. I
thought that was pretty funny.

The OP again:
Sure! Anyhoo, obviously I’ve never laid shingles before. Yes I studied
up on how to lay them. No I didn’t immediately start after studying up
and quite frankly it’s a situation where I just started not even
thinking “hey, is this the right way” and viola, here I am. Just looking
at the shingle (after I realized the mistake - homer moment) I didn’t
see any difference between the makeup of the material of the two sides
and as you can see from the pictures it’s not as if it looks bad per se.