Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Double glazing beading on the outside?!?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0e2kw6sdwdg98l@glass...
On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 19:06:28 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0e2a26mowdg98l@glass...
On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 17:22:40 -0000, harry
wrote:

On Monday, 27 January 2020 16:42:06 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 16:32:40 -0000, Andy Bennet
wrote:

On 27/01/2020 13:53, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do some glaziers fit the beading on the outside of windows?
Surely,
common sense tells us to put the part you can easily remove on the
inside, for security.

Windows and doors may be glazed internally or externally.

Internal glazing means that the glass units are installed with
glazing
beads inserted into the frames from the inside.

External glazing means that the glass units are installed with
glazing
beads inserted into the frames from the outside.

Both are equally secure, provided either security tape or glass
locks
are installed, with external beading.

How can external beading be secure? The burglar just does the reverse
of
what the installer did. I've done it to my own and my neighbour's
windows very easily. Them because they locked themselves out, mine so
could get a sofa into the house which wouldn't fit through the
stupidly
narrow hall.

They aren't secure. However in the UK at least you won't find it any
more. It went through a phase of having "security clips" fitted
beneath
the beads to stop the glass being easily removed.

Pretty stupid to have ever invented it in the first place. A window,
easy
access point for burglar. Let's see, where shall we put the thing that
you can peel off? About as stupid as fitting a Yale lock on the outside
of the door!

But its also much more expensive if you do lock yourself
out and few burglars bother to remove the glass.

I never lock myself out, my key is RFID on a wrist band.

Few houses are like that so that is irrelevant.

And you will be locked out when that fails.

It is never removed from my body.

Few are that stupid. And plenty have more than one occupant.