Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Double glazing beading on the outside?!?

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 19:35:32 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

snip

So, they fit the frame, tape the inside of the frame but don't peel
the outer protective layer off (/ completely), set the glass on
spacers to get it central [1], hold the glass away slightly, peel the
tape and then set the glass fully home, then tap in the (external)
glazing beads (or various versions of the above).

This "external glazing" is confusing me. Could you just stick to "externally beaded"?

Nope, I'm using the proper terms for that trade.

The glass ain't internal or external, it's in the middle.

But it's *fitted* from one side (in or out).

And why these spacers? Can't they just make the glass the right size in the first place? Sounds like a kludge to me.

It's safer to leave a little room for movement / expansion when making
a sealed DG unit and so to set it in the middle of the frame they
often use spacers / packers. Packers are also required to set up (toe
/ heel) a side opening door / window so a gap is still required. The
packers can be as thin as 1mm (from memory).

The tape is usually black and very strong (like RC servo tape).

Now that I'm familiar with.

Phew, that's a start then! ;-)

Cheers, T i m