Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Fog lights MOT

On Monday, 27 January 2020 18:40:40 UTC, mm0fmf wrote:
On 27/01/2020 11:44, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Monday, 27 January 2020 11:10:53 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Monday, 27 January 2020 10:43:41 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You drive a manual at present? All autos creep on the level, unless the
brakes are applied. My PDK works just fine provided you don't mind the
brake lights being on all the time. It even has a hill hold feature. What
it doesn't seem to like is the handbrake on and being in drive for long
periods on a hot day. BTW, I left foot brake on an auto.

My car has a 7-speed DSG gearbox (which is broadly similar to PDK). And
the parking brake applies automatically when it comes to a complete
stop. So I don't think about keeping my foot on the brake pedal, nor do
I apply the parking brake. But nor do I even consider knocking it out of
drive under normal circumstances.

Mine is an older version with no auto parking brake. Just a conventional
handbrake.

But could you clarify? It applies the parking brake as soon as you come to
a complete stop? So no need to keep the footbrake applied at a red traffic
light etc? And disengages the clutch totally?

The car stops, and within probably some fraction of a second, the parking brake applies and the clutch seems to totally disengage.

When I want to move off again, I gently press the accelerator, which then uses the clutch and starts moving - releasing the parking brake at the right moment. It also has hill start assist.

Mind, sometimes I do feel it doesn't do quite such a good job as it should with a little bit of a jerk as it starts/releases parking brake.

(Bloomin' confusing going back to the other car I regularly drive which, whilst auto, is entirely different.)

According to an established tro^W expert on all subjects, that automatic
brake application will not be fast enough. Fractions of a second is not
as fast as a manual handbrake.

Does a fraction of a second make a scrap of real world difference?

I depress brake pedal (with my right foot). Car stops. Parking brake applies. I take my foot off brake pedal. However long it actually takes, the car doesn't start rolling forwards, nor backwards. Which, in my book, is fast enough.

(Partner keeps pointing out that faster computers get to a point where they are, from the perspective of the user, instantaneous. Faster than that is utterly unnecessary.)