Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Using a 16A Schuko socket

On 27/01/2020 13:56, Grumps wrote:
So, I have an EV (Leaf) which would benefit from the ability to charge
using more than a 13Amp socket can supply. The supplied charging
unit/cable limits to about 10A, but the car's on board charger can
accept up to 3.3kW (some say 3.6kW).
This would need a different EVSE than the supplied unit, AND a beefier
mains socket.

Is it OK, in terms of building regs etc, to have a Schuko 16A socket on
a radial from the CU?

I know I can get a proper home charge point installed, but that's not
the cheapest option.
TIA.

You need a safety interlock to ensure that the cable only goes live once
it is plugged-in to the car. Charge points contain a protocol controller
to handle comms with the car and to enable a contactor once safe so to
do, they also have an RCD. Finally, they're supposed to be TT'd to
ensure that supply and car ground potentials are similar. It's probably
cheaper to buy a charge point (currently about £135 on fleabay) than
building one yourself.