Posted to uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Brake caliper/pad "retaining" clips

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 13:52:31 -0000, Roger Mills wrote:

On 27/01/2020 09:45, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 22:49:05 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Anyone know what their function is? Is the middle bit supposed to
contact the back of the pad? Mine don't - by 2 or 3 mm

Your digital camera is your friend on this sort of thing (before

you
take it to bits). ;-)

Yes, I know - and I usually do. But I erroneously deemed it unnecessary
on this occasion!

Fall back to examination of the removed bits for marks left where
bits contact each other.

Trouble is that, after fitting new pads, the caliper and its carrier end
up in different relative position. So a photo may not have helped anyway.

But many thanks to all who have replied. I now feel happy that they're ok.

[The discs and pads were an "advisory" in the previous MOT (last March)
so I have replaced them myself at an all-in cost of £35 rather than
paying the garage about £200 to do it. I don't want them to be able to
criticise what I've done when they MOT it this March].

You fixed something before it was required?! I'd have waited to see if it was upgraded from advisory to "must" on the next MOT.