Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Burglar alarm problem

On 26/01/2020 23:56, JoeJoe wrote:

Last night it went off at 3am (not amused - luckily I managed to
remember the code to reset it). By the look of it there was a short
power cut just prior to it going off.

Is it possible that this was caused by the backup battery not holding
charge any more?

Yes, its a common failing.
The battery will no longer be able to supply the instantaneous power
when the mains goes off. However if you check the terminal voltage its
likely to still indicate a nominal 12V.

The backup battery should be replaced every 4 to 5 years. I replaced
mine 7 days ago after around 4 years of use. I stick a label on the
front of the alarm control panel with the replacement date as the years
seem to fly by without noticing with such items.