Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack[_3_] Mike Halmarack[_3_] is offline

Default Effect of aluminium hangers on galvanised iron/steel balustrade?

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 15:04:42 +0000, bert wrote:

In article , Mike Halmarack
writes
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?

Speaking from Land Rover Defender experience then if they are galvanised
then no and if not galvanised then yes. If you want to be doubly sure
then you can get a paste to smear on the contacting surfaces as used in
the aircraft industry. I have a tube somewhere in one of my many tins of
useful stuff in the garage.

It's possible that it could be both yes and no if the hanger starts to
rub away the galvanising. I'll check out the paste. Thanks.