Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Name that connector

Chris Green wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:
ARW wrote:

On 25/01/2020 12:03, Roger Hayter wrote:
wrote:

Hi All,

I am wanting to connect some thickish flex (think 1.5mm 3 core flex
with all 3 cores stripped back an inch and twisted together) to my
cars battery.

Well, connect them better anyway.

I am thinking of a terminal that's like a washer at one end (that I
can connect to the bolts On the existing battery terminals), and
perhaps chock block type connectors at the other end that I can
attach the flex to.

Do such connectors exist (and if so, what term should I google?).

Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

TIA

Chris
There is a standard insulated crimp connector, available in Halfords
or other car accessory shops, that will do this. The right crimp
size is a blue one; but if the largest hole available (there is a
choice) in the washer part is too small you can use a yellow one and
solder rather than crimp it. Perhaps take the insulation off and
drill a hole in the side to pass the flex free ends through if you
want mechanically sound soldering.

Are car crimps different to the electrical crimps I use?

It's just that your description seems wrong. ie in the case of insulated
crimps the colours only relate to the size of the cable not to the size
of the ring.

What I am saying is the biggest sized ring commonly available with a
blue crimp may not be big enough for the application. I agree that in
principle the two are unrelated.

As I noted in my previous comment you can get up to, at least, 10mm
rings with red and blue crimps, just go to a decent supplier like Beal.

That's useful to know, my experience of them is limited to car shops.

--

Roger Hayter