Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Effect of aluminium hangers on galvanised iron/steel balustrade?

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 12:00:51 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 03:52:27 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 11:45:56 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?
--

Mike

The activity series. The further they are apart, the faster any reaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reacti... de_potentials

So, if the Al is Aluminium and the Zn is Zinc this means they are
quite close and less reactive?

...Al H( water) Mn Zn ...
--

Exactly so.