Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Effect of aluminium hangers on galvanised iron/steel balustrade?

I wonder what his table or shelf is going to be made out of though?

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 26/01/2020 12:00, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 03:52:27 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 11:45:56 UTC, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'm planning to hang a balcony wide board for use as a table or plant
stand. I'd probably find it easiest to cut and shape the hangers from
aluminium. These would hang on the inside of the balcony's balustrade
which is made from galvanised iron or steel.
Would these dissimilar metals suffer any adverse reaction when in long
term contact with each other?
--

Mike

The activity series. The further they are apart, the faster any
reaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reacti... de_potentials

So, if the Al is Aluminium and the Zn is Zinc this means they are
quite close and less reactive?

...Al H( water) Mn Zn ...

IIRC aluminium and zinc are not too bad, helped by the fact that the oxide
on aluminium can be a fairly effective insulator.

Thinking about it, TV aerials often have zinc plated clamps on aluminium
tubes. I was going to suggest that soft spacers are good if there is any
small amplitude motion (because the rubbing can remove oxides and promote
electrical contact) but the evidence of TV aerials, exposed to wind,
suggests you might not need to worry.