Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Name that connector

Roger Hayter wrote:
ARW wrote:

On 25/01/2020 12:03, Roger Hayter wrote:
wrote:

Hi All,

I am wanting to connect some thickish flex (think 1.5mm 3 core flex with
all 3 cores stripped back an inch and twisted together) to my cars
battery.

Well, connect them better anyway.

I am thinking of a terminal that's like a washer at one end (that I can
connect to the bolts On the existing battery terminals), and perhaps chock
block type connectors at the other end that I can attach the flex to.

Do such connectors exist (and if so, what term should I google?).

Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

TIA

Chris
There is a standard insulated crimp connector, available in Halfords or
other car accessory shops, that will do this. The right crimp size is a
blue one; but if the largest hole available (there is a choice) in the
washer part is too small you can use a yellow one and solder rather than
crimp it. Perhaps take the insulation off and drill a hole in the side
to pass the flex free ends through if you want mechanically sound
soldering.

Are car crimps different to the electrical crimps I use?

It's just that your description seems wrong. ie in the case of insulated
crimps the colours only relate to the size of the cable not to the size
of the ring.

What I am saying is the biggest sized ring commonly available with a
blue crimp may not be big enough for the application. I agree that in
principle the two are unrelated.

As I noted in my previous comment you can get up to, at least, 10mm
rings with red and blue crimps, just go to a decent supplier like Beal.

--
Chris Green
ยท