Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default What does this picture of a roof show?

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Jan 2020 15:06:04 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 09:31:33 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 24 Jan 2020 22:09:33 -0500, Joe
wrote:

On 1/24/2020 9:43 PM, micky wrote:
What does this picture show:
https://static.companycam.com/lambda...eg?d=2880x2880

My standard 3-tab shingled roof is leaking into the 2nd flor in one spot
and a roofing company came out and looked at it.

I can't see the back half of the roof from the ground and I haven't been
up there, but from inside the attic I do see that several sheets of
plywood are water damaged, so even though it's only 13 years old, I need
a new roof, right? But I'd rather wait until warmer or drier weather,
and I'd like to just solve the one leak into the 2nd floor until then.

A roofer who came to look at it told me it shows that those who put on
the replacement roof 13 years ago caulked the weepholes in the ridge
rail, and that's the reason for the [leak] that bothers me. Is that what
you thought too?

Does that happen? Is it a problem?

Are those oblong holes the weepholes. Of those in the picture, it looks
like only one is partly blocked, and the others are open.

Can I get a handyman to clean out the weepholes, to last me until the
summer?

If it's the caulk, it's been there for 13 years. How come no drip into
the 2nd floor until this year?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Maybe toss a Harbor Freight tarp over it and nail 'er down?

Thanks. I know about tarps. I can't tell if you are trying to help or
you're just being sarcatic.

Can you or someone who knows something tell me what the picture shows?

And if the oblong holes are the weep-holes, and if opening any that are
closed would help keep water from backing up into the attic? Can you
tell me if there is anything wrong with having caulking at the bottom
edge of the ridge vent?

Less important. The guy who came out says there were no drip edges
installed. When the house was built in 1979, would that have been
acceptable? When the first replacmeent roof was put in in 2007, would
it still have met the standard of the industry? Or did I basically get
short changed?

Don't know about the caulking, but there are MANY kinds of "ridge
vents" - some very good, some decent, and some terrible. Is the leak
at the ridge?

On the inside, the plywood near the leak is brown from the roof peak
half the way down, and I thin kthat's where it drips. I've been waiting
for it to rain so I could watch, but it has barely rained.

Drip molding has been a de-facto requirement since the early eighties
- not sure when it went into code - but only a cheapskate would have
done a re-roof without in 2007 - at least up here. Ice Guard was

I guess he was a cheapskate, although he was also cheap. Less than half
the price of another one.

pretty much universal on the eaves as well by that time up here.

A properly installed roof has to get pretty bad before it will
actially LEAK. The back of my garage looked like corn flakes and it
still didn't leak, (that's what the tar paper or "membrane" installed
before the shingles is for - - - -

I watched them do parts of it and they definitely used overlapping tar
paper.

That's why it makes sense that it is somehow backing up into the ridge
rail.