Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Brake caliper/pad "retaining" clips

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 22:49:05 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:
snip

Assuming everything is sitting in the right place, then I think that
looks right, assuming the clips are the same design / size as the ones
you took out?

Thanks. They're the original clips - I didn't get new ones. [The Ebay
link was to show what the clips look like when not installed]

I'd still like to know what their function is. If, for example, it's to
damp lateral oscillations of the caliper on its carrier, it doesn't need
to be in contact with the pad.

I believe that's their purpose. And to stop the floating caliper cover
from flopping about, assuming the pins allowed such etc.

But if it's to push the pad away from the
end of the caliper when the brakes are not applied - which would, in
turn, retract the piston a bit and provide more clearance and less drag
between pads and disc - it *would* need to contact the pad.

No, I don't believe it's for that Roger.

I just don't
know. It definitely doesn't retain anything. Nothing would fall off it
it wasn't there.

Quite. The only thing it might do is hold the caliper cover in place
when you undid the two retaining pins (but only while you were working
on it etc).

Your digital camera is your friend on this sort of thing (before you
take it to bits). ;-)

Yes, I know - and I usually do. But I erroneously deemed it unnecessary
on this occasion!

Doh! ;-)

As mentioned, as long as everything else is in place then the clip
only needs to be pushed in till the main part was flush with the outer
part of the cover.

The key thing is that nothing would fail even if they weren't fitted,
they just keep the two caliper halves under a bit of tension / control
to stop them slopping about (as I don't believe the clips would resist
against much else).

A third opinion is a good thing though. ;-)

Cheers, T i m