Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Joining 1.0, 1.5 and 2.5mm^2 cables

In article , Adam Funk
scribeth thus

On 2020-01-17, Andrew wrote:

On 17/01/2020 16:15, Fredxx wrote:
In the good old days I would have used junction boxes but now these have
to be 'accessible' I ought to use an alternative.

I have tried crimps in the past and been thoroughly disillusioned with
them. I have found them unreliable and easily pulled apart, even with
ratchet crimping pliers.

Is there an alternative convenient and affordable method recommended
where access is not required.

Correctly made crimp joints with a decent ratchet crimper should
not pull apart. Something else is wrong with your technique or
equiopment.

I have a ratchet crimper from TLC Direct (recommended here by someone
knowledgeable, IIRC). I did some practice work (on offcuts of cable)
& found that I got better results after adjusting the crimper one
notch (then I started using it "for real").

Is this their DV DHCR15 tool?

I can't find the e-mail with the order details, but this definitely
looks like the one I have, which I know I got from TLC:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DVDHCR15.html

The picture shows an adjustment wheel held in place by a small screw.
When I got the crimper, it was on the lowest setting, & I got good
results (i.e., really can't pull the wires apart) by adjusting it up
one position. (I suppose it adjusts further as the jaws wear out.)

There're the good ones

--
Tony Sayer