Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default swapping electric hotplate hob for induction

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 15:16:20 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

They seem to vary from 13A plug-in, to 16A hard-wired to 32A hard-wired,
I've heard lots of people raving about how good induction hobs are, has
anyone got any stories about the lower powered ones being ... um ...
underpowered?

I have the very cheapest 2kW single induction plate thing, countertop plasticcy
thing. It was just over 20‚¬. The fan is noisy, the temperature setting has 20°C
increments which is "too coarse" in the lowest range. And the 60°C and 80°C
settings will boil water if the pan is small; fine if large enough but still
considerable deviation. The hot spot is smaller than on a large electric plate.
The temperature, time and wattage can be set independently, if clumsily. It is
easy to clean and light (to the point of flimsyness). As there is no hot air as
in burning gas, spatter does not get spread around as much.

For all the pros and cons: underpowered? naah, not compared to the gas hob.

All in all, a great buy, well worth its money. Next time around, I'd get the
second-cheapest, not the cheapest...

Thomas Prufer