Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Terrell Michael Terrell is offline

Default Telephone Line, Red Wire, Ringing Voltage to Ground

On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 1:57:31 PM UTC-5, Tim R wrote:
On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 1:15:44 PM UTC-5, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 1/20/20 11:34 AM, wrote:
https://www.sandman.com/knowledgebas...-tech-bulletin

The internet is your friend.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Wonderful explanation.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

And it contained this little gem, which you all probably knew, but was a surprise to me:

*****
A very good technical explanation for variances in AC voltage measurements was put out by Agilent
(formerly HP), who makes their own meters ranging from handhelds to lab equipment. I was amazed to read that meter manufacturers calculate True RMS by reading the heat produced by the AC voltage (4 page PDF file):
*****

I could not get to the Agilent PDF just now.

There are ICs that calculate RMS for test equipment.

Agilent changed their name to Keysight several years ago.