Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing curbside plastic garbage cans

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 05:54:41 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 8:02:38 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

Speaking of recycling, I think it is stupid to have multiple cans for
different trash. Look at your friend Adam Schiff's house and you will
see three cans. That means 3 different trucks will have to come to his
house for pickup. Trash should go into one can, handled by one truck
and should be picked for recycle at the dump. It is done like that in
many places and in order to recycle you have to have people at the dump
anyway to pick through the recycle.

Paper for recycling has to be clean. If it's got coffee grounds, oil, etc.,
it cannot be recycled.

I doubt they could hire people to wade through disposable diapers, rotting
meat, etc. just to get the useful recyclables separated and cleaned.

We switched some years back to single-stream recycling, so we only need
two cans (and two trucks). One for recycling and one for things headed
to the landfill.

If I am reliably informed, King County, WA, requires compostables to be
disposed of separately. Your carrot peels can't go in with your
diapers.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

The "recycle" should just be metal. Everything else is trash except
for a few localities close to a place that can use it. Most "recycle"
is too dirty to use anyway and goes to the landfill.
We did paper recycling at IBM way before it was cool and it is amazing
how pure it has to be to have any value at all. Clean white "bond" was
worth 6 cents a pound. Newsprint was 2 cents. Mixed paper was ZERO.
They would reject the whole load if they saw anything else in it.